5.01.2017

we're all alive

Hannah and Chris's Toyota Highlander
So this happened on Friday. That's Hannah and Chris's car. Today at preschool Isaac said, "Did you know bats sleep upside down? I was upside down!" He was hanging from the ceiling in his very excellent car seat as Chris cut himself and Hannah out of airbags. Yeah airbags. Yeah seat belts. Yeah car seats.
And then on Saturday this happened. My neighbor across the street in the Ozarks was asleep when the river swept through his house. "It was seven feet deep in my house, over my head." He went back the next day to fetch some filthy clothing and found my number and called me. My house, like Hannah's car, and Bear's house, and Bill's house and Thomasville, Mo., is totaled.
But, hey, we're all alive.
And I still have other waterfront property, and Hannah still has one car.
My across the street neighbor's house in the former Thomasville, Mo.

6 comments:

Dianne said...

Glad you weren't here...they would have had to evacuate you from your balcony (if The Goose still has a balcony). Frank read that there have been over 70 boat evacuations in the area.

otra rubia said...

Seeing these pictures made my stomach lurch. Thank God/Goddess everyone is physically okay. xox

Claudia said...

Shaken and stirred!

Pam Case said...

Wow!! Glad everyone is okay. What a mess to deal with remotely in MO. Good for your little bat to count it as an interesting experience! Hooray for safety features in cars and home insurance.

Claudia said...

So great to hear rpm you Pam Case! You all had a much worse trauma. Trust you are all ok now. Would love to see you again. Give me a shout if you are on the East Coast!

Debby said...

Glad that everyone is Ok. After four days with very sketchy internet in Barcelona, I now have real wifi in Madrid. So I can catch up on your blog, where a lot has been happening. Hope the future is better than the recent past, though it's nice that the new tub works.